Respondus LockDown Browser is a program used for secure online testing in D2L Brightspace. It locks the test taker into the test and does not allow access to other programs, unapproved websites, and printing. Your instructor will let you know if LockDown is required for quizzes in your course. If you are taking a test using LockDown Browser in a computer lab or SCC Testing Center, you do not need to install anything.
SCCOnline discontinued Respondus Monitor on July 31, 2021.
What types of computers work with LockDown Browser?
LockDown Browser is used primarily with Windows and Mac computers. Your instructor can decide whether to allow iPad testing. There are some test options that do not work well on the iPad.
Can I use LockDown Browser on a Chromebook?
SCC does not use the Chromebook version of LockDown Browser due to compatibility issues. We recommend not having the LockDown Browser extension installed as it may cause problems with other tests in D2L.
Installing LockDown Browser (Windows/Mac)
If you are using a company, school, or library issued computer, you may need to to request their permission or assistance to install LockDown Browser.
Respondus LockDown use the same software that may be downloaded to your computer. You may download the software using the link below before a test begins. The link will also be displayed in the test instructions. There are versions for Windows, Macintosh OS X, and iPad. On Windows and Mac you will need to install the software on your computer. On some computers, you may be asked whether it is OK to install LockDown Browser by your security software or be prompted for an administrative password.
Download Resopondus LockDown Browser
After installing LockDown Browser, read the tips below and try it with the practice test in your course or the one in the SCCOnline Online Learning Tutorial class in D2L.
Before Taking an Online Test
- Exit out of any other programs that are running on your computer and reboot your computer. This clears your computer’s memory making it less likely to lock up or crash while taking a test.
- Use a wired Internet connection for the best reliability. Poor network connections can cause tests to lock up or answers not to be recorded.
- If you choose a wireless connection (wifi or cellular hotspot), check your signal strength before starting. It should be good or excellent. If not, find a location with a better signal.
- Tests must be taken in one sitting, so make sure you have enough time to complete the test before starting it. You cannot start the test and then change your mind or pause the test.
Taking a Test with LockDown Browser and Monitor
- Log into D2L with your normal web browser, select your course, and navigate to the test.
- Read the test instructions carefully, noting the time limits. You can back out if you’re not ready to begin.
- Click Launch LockDown Browser to begin the test. Your web browser may ask permission to open LockDown Browser. Select Yes or Allow.
- Wait a moment while LockDown Browser starts up and the test is set up. This can take up to a minute.
- Once the test appears, the countdown clock will start.
- Answer each question, and click Save Answer. Saving answers helps preserve your work in case of an Internet or computer problem.
- When completed, click Submit Quiz.
- Once your quiz is finished, you can review your results. Instructors can choose whether the test questions or answers are displayed. Contact your instructor if you have questions or concerns about the results.
Low vision students
Click on the i icon on the toolbar to adjust the text size or increase magnification (enlarges text and graphics). Click Apply after selecting your setting.
Respondus LockDown Browser Student Guide (PDF)
Please take advantage of the practice test in your course or the practice test in the SCCOnline Online Learning Tutorial to make sure that you can install and successfully use LockDown Browser or Monitor prior to a graded test. If you experience problems while taking a test, please use the Help function within LockDown Browser for 24/7 live help from Respondus. SCCOnline can also assist students with technical issues, but does not have staff at night or on the weekends.
Respondus and SCCOnline cannot extend test deadlines. Only course instructors can do this.
Respondus Knowledgebase articles:
- What are the compatibility requirements for LockDown Browser?
- I am having trouble downloading LockDown.
- Do I have the latest version of LockDown loaded on my computer?
- When I start LockDown it takes me to another college’s login page.
- Why is my antivirus software blocking LockDown Browser?
- When I start LockDown, I see a white screen.
- Why does LockDown make me close programs?