Once you use a Rubric for grading, D2L will lock it to prevent any changes.
Rubrics with a Link indicate that the rubric is associated or assigned to activity, but has not been used to grade it. While it is linked, it is still editable. If used, however, it will lock.
There are two possible solutions if you need to revise/edit your rubric once you’ve started grading.
Remove and Reassign Rubric
This process requires you to remove the rubric from ALL assignments using it. This will unlock it and allow you to edit it. Previously scored activities will retain their old scores and will need to be updated with the revised rubric.
This method demonstrates how to do such with rubric associated with a dropbox.
- Click DROPBOX in your navigation bar.
- Click the dropdown arrow next to the assignment that has the rubric assigned to it and choose EDIT.
If you are unsure of which assignments use the rubric, view the statistics for the rubric.
- Make sure you are in the PROPERTIES tab.
- Scroll down to ADD RUBRIC and
click the red X next to the Rubric to remove it.
- Click SAVE AND CLOSE at the bottom of your screen.
- Repeat this for ALL assignments using the Rubric.
- Once all associations have been removed, return to your list of rubrics by
clicking EDIT COURSE in the your navigation bar.
- Verify the CATEGORY view is selected.
- Scroll down to Assessments and click RUBRICS.
- Click the dropdown arrow next to the rubric you want to revise
and choose EDIT.
- Make changes as needed to either the Properties or Levels and Criteria as needed.
If you do not have a Levels and Criteria tab, you have not disassociated the rubric from all other activities.Â If you are unsure of which assignments use the rubric,Â view the statistics for the rubric.
- When done revising your rubric, click CLOSE.
- Return to your activity and ADD the revised rubric.
- Any assignments that used the previous Rubric will continue to display the previous score.
The details of the rubric score (highlighted in orange) is the only information that disappears when the previous rubric was removed.
- To revise the score with the revised rubric, click the name of the rubric.
- Redo the scores and click SAVE and RECORD when done.
- The evaluation will show an updated Rubric score, overall score and any new feedback you have written.
- Make sure to click UPDATE to record the new score for students to see.
Assign a New Revised Copy
This method has you create a copy of the rubric you want to revise, assign it as an additional rubric to an activity (dropbox), and then tell the activity to score according to it.
- ClickÂ EDIT COURSEÂ in the your navigation bar.
- Verify theÂ CATEGORYÂ view is selected.
- Scroll down toÂ AssessmentsÂ and clickÂ RUBRICS.
- Click the dropdown arrow next to the rubric and
- A copied version will now appear in your rubrics list.
- Click the dropdown arrow next to the copy and
choose EDIT PROPERTIES.
- Change the Name of your copied rubric.
- Click the LEVELS AND CRITERIA tab.
- Notice how it copies over the original information.
- Edit as needed and click CLOSE at the bottom.
- Your rubric is ready to be assigned to an activity.
- ClickÂ DROPBOXÂ in your navigation bar.
- Click the dropdown arrow next to the assignment that has the rubric assigned to it and chooseÂ EDIT.
- Make sure you are in theÂ PROPERTIESÂ tab.
- Scroll down to Rubric and click ADD RUBRIC to add an ADDITIONAL rubric to your existing one.
- Select your revised/copied rubric.
- Click ADD SELECTED.
- The rubric will be added to the list.
- Scroll to the bottom and click SAVE AND CLOSE.
- Now when you go to grade an activity with the revised rubric, you will notice the additional Rubric in the Evaluation panel of the student’s submission.
The one used for scoring will have a NOTE below it.
- To change the rubric used for scoring,
click the NAME of either rubric.
- In the Assess Rubric Floating Window, click the dropdown next to
CHOOSE SCORING RUBRIC and select which rubric you want for recording the score.
The Assess Rubric window will display ALL rubrics associated with the activity, but will only use the score from the one you selected for grading.
- Still in the Assess Rubric window, scroll down to the appropriate Rubric and select the desired scores and input desired feedback.
- Click SAVE and RECORD when finished.
- The submission Evaluation will be updated with the score coming from the NEW rubric that was selected. Rubrics chosen for scoring have a NOTE below them.
- Click UPDATE to record the NEW score.