Instructors have the option to display an estimated final grade at any time in D2L to give students an idea of how they are doing in the course. A good average provides the positive feedback that encourages students to keep up their good work. A low score can motive students to work harder.
Before students can see these grades, D2L requires that instructors release the grade. This gives you a chance to check and make sure that the final grade is being calculated correctly (and make changes if they are not) before students has access to it.
The instructions below assume you have selected a weighted grading system.
Part I – Gradebook Settings
- Go into the Grades tool and choose the Setup Wizard.
- Go through the wizard and make the adjustments below. If you haven’t set up your gradebook in D2L, you can do that at the same time.
- In Step 2, select Drop ungraded items and check the box below to keep the score updated. As due dates pass, make sure to enter zeroes for any student who does not complete the assignment or test.
- In Step 5, check the Display Grade Calculation to users checkbox.
You’re not done yet! The next section shows you how to actually make this column visible to the students.
Part II – Publishing the Final Grade
- Click on Enter Grades.
- Find the Final Calculated Grade column, click the drop-down arrow, and select Grade All.
- A screen will appear with all of your final grades. Check them over to make sure they look correct.
- If you want to release all of the grades, click the Select All checkbox and then the Release/Unrelease button. If you only want to release specific students’ grades, click the checkboxes under Release Final Calculated Grade.
- When finished, click Save to release the grades to students.